Gynecomastia refers to increased breast gland tissue in boys or men caused by an imbalance of estrogen and testosterone. According to the National Institute of Health, up to 60% of adolescent males have gynecomastia, and approximately 65% of adult men. This condition can affect your self-esteem, especially in your younger years, which is why Dr. Craft proudly performs male breast surgery.
What is gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia is a button-sized growth underneath the nipple, which may move quickly within the breast tissue and be tender to touch. This can occur in one or both breasts.
The condition can manifest itself at different life stages, including:
- Birth: More than half of male newborns have enlarged breasts or breast buds because of the mother’s estrogen levels. However, the enlarged breasts usually diminish within a few weeks.
- Puberty: More than half of teenage boys have some degree of breast enlargement due to fluctuating hormones, including drops in testosterone and surges in estrogen. The condition resolves as hormone levels even out, which takes six months to two years to complete.
- Adulthood: Enlarged breasts are more common in men over 50, as men’s bodies produce less testosterone with age. They may also have increased body fat, which stimulates estrogen production and breast tissue growth.
What is gynecomastia surgery?
Gynecomastia surgery uses liposuction to decrease the amount of breast tissue. Liposuction uses a thin, hollow tube (or cannula) to loosen fat cells, break them up, and suction them out of the body.
This minimally invasive outpatient surgery is performed under general anesthesia. Dr. Craft makes small incisions through which he inserts the cannula. Once liposuction has been completed, he will excise loose skin and re-shape the chest area to appear more masculine. Additionally, if the nipple and areola need to be moved, he will put them in the optimal position for balance and symmetry.
Am I a good candidate for gynecomastia surgery?
Great candidates for gynecomastia surgery or male breast reduction:
- Are males with breast tissue that is negatively affecting their life
- Are over the age of eighteen
- Are overall healthy non-smokers
- Have realistic expectations about surgical results
Teenagers can undergo male breast reduction, significantly improving their confidence. However, teenage males can outgrow gynecomastia, so you should get the opinion of your family doctor before proceeding with male breast reduction. Even when surgery results are excellent, patients may need to have the procedure performed again later if the breast tissue continues to develop as they become older.
Why choose Dr. Craft for gynecomastia surgery?
Double board-certified surgeon Dr. Randall O. Craft founded the Arizona Center for Advanced Reconstruction and Aesthetics (ACARA) to provide patient-centric, compassionate care emphasizing safety.
Dr. Craft has the credentials, education, and experience to carry out surgical and cosmetic procedures for men with satisfying, transformative results, such as gynecomastia surgery in Phoenix. Please call the office or contact us online to schedule a consultation.